Friday 25 February 2011

Video Re-Enactment of my Pre-Parelli Days




People have been writing to me, saying, “Marti, you are such an incompetent horse whisperer and natural horseman now, so how much worse were you before you started on the Parelli program?”

Well, much worse. When I first watched the Level 1 pack I felt all the level 1 students were far better than me. That's because they were. Their horses did not run away from them, lay their ears flat, and attack for food. Mine did all that -- and more!

Second, the horse owners who featured in Level 1 brought their own horses to the Parelli ranch. That means they had enough control to get the horse haltered and into a trailer. Wow. Impressive.

I DID put Milo in a trailer when I first got him because the man who raised him for meat, occasionally gave him hay in a trailer. So Milo was happy to get on one. However, as soon as we drove off, he reared up, threw himself over the front bar and got his legs tangled in the haynet. I was alerted to this when the noise of Milo scrambling in the trailer became louder than the honking of horns behind me. Lucky for me, I had an illegal knife hidden in my car, soI easily cut down the hay net. And Milo was small enough so the emergency services were able to lift him off the bar.

No, I can’t quite capture how grossly idiotic I was when I first got Milo, and words cannot describe. But I’ve tried to do my best in this re-enactment of Day One with my new pony.

2 comments:

  1. Okay so this is the third time I'm trying this. Now we're down to: I like your funny blog. The children have stolen the speakers for my pc so I'll have to view the video later. My first attempt was much wittier, more gracious and better in every way than this. Cathy Dreyerx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awwww, thanks for the comment even if it was an all day effort requiring several attempts. I'm glad you like the blog. Have the children already sold your speakers to fuel their chocolate addiction or are they recoverable?

    ReplyDelete